Monday, May 4, 2009

Our Favorite Foods #6: Krispy Kreme

As implied in our Bojangles post, we have been blessed to grow up in North Carolina. Call me partial, but no other state in the country has a more delicious food history as the Old North State. In a recent article, students at a North Carolina school learn the history of classic North Carolina foods such as Mt. Olive Pickles, Cheerwine, Bojangles, and the ever-so-heavenly Krispy Kreme Doughnut.

Krispy Kreme
Original glazed
Hot and now: right off the line
Give me a dozen

The flavor explosion that occurs after eating a still-warm Krispy Kreme Doughnut is something that cannot be replicated. The thing literally melts in your mouth. Sadly, though, I can rarely enjoy this treat because there isn't a Krispy Kreme in my current town--we only have a crappy Dunkin' Donuts. However, in two months I am moving to Winston-Salem which just happens to be home/national headquarters of Krispy Kreme. My despair will soon turn into joy, accompanied by weight gain.

Krispy Kreme is a big deal here in North Carolina. I've taken part in MANY Krispy Kreme FUND Raisers throughout my day as a youth group member and marching band participant. Although I consider Krispy Kreme a "N.C. thang", some of my most fond Krispy Kreme memories come straight from South Carolina, where many hot doughnuts were consumed after midnight, following an evening of Myrtle Beach mayhem:

--Sadie

P.S. we have finally joined the twitter craze: http://twitter.com/hungrysisters

No comments: